Stomach Pangs: GI Issues
Leaky gut, inflammatory bowel disease, allergies, food intolerances…
Gastrointestinal issues (GI) are a personal topic for me as I’ve suffered through a few intolerances that can be crippling with pain. This includes bloating, gas, abdominal pangs, and skin rashes to name a few without TMI. Naturally, I try and help when I can.
Many people I work with come with some kind of GI issue. While my first rule is to refer out if needed, there are situations where simple nutrition guidelines can help reduce or alleviate symptoms. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, you understand how frustrating they can be.
Here are some tips:
1. Gather info: Keep a journal to collect symptoms, times, foods, and any other information that could be influencing the symptom. This can be helpful to identify trends and/or share with a professional for guidance.
2. Eat slowly and mindfully: This can be incredible to help alleviate symptoms. Sometimes, we just need to give our body more time to do the whole digestion thing.
3. Try and move towards more whole-foods based diet: Processed foods tend to be high in industrial fats or sugar and have low fiber. This can lead to more frequent symptoms.
4. Be flexible: There is no ONE way to eat. Some people have symptoms eating healthy foods like vegetables due to the higher fiber content. Others have no symptoms with a higher processed food intake. Refer back to number 1 above.
5. Be active: If you have a hard time being regular, try increasing your physical activity as that helps get things moving.
6. Contact a professional: If all else fails, contact a professional to help. Don’t know anyone? Message me and I can refer you to a few local leads.
Want some help?
Reach out today by clicking below.